top of page



The Quankey Missionary Baptist Church was organized in 1877.  It started in an old school house from Sunday evening prayer meeting.  It was such a spiritual prayer meeting, and every one seemed to be on one accord.  The people decided to start a church with seven members from Carter's Chapel Baptist Church.  Carter's Chapel Missionary Baptist Church is the mother of Quankey Missionary Baptist Church… The Old Rugged Schoolhouse had a brush harbor over the door and pine logs for seats.


  • The first pastor of the Quankey Missionary Baptist church was the Reverend Christopher Peters.  He served for two years. (1877-1879).                                                                                                                                                                                 

  • The next pastor was Rev.  Daniel N. Martin.  He served for approximately nineteen years, under his leadership the first church building was built.  God called him from labor to his great reward, a servant well done. (1879-1898).


  • Rev.  Tom Zollicoffer was Rev. Martin’s successor.  He served for seven years. (1898-1905).    


  • Rev.  Prince A. Ivey became pastor and he served for seventeen years.  Under his leadership the second church building was built. (1905-1922).                                                                                                                                                         

  • The Rev.  William T. Edmonds became the next pastor and served for nine years.  Under his leadership the Usher Board was organized. (1922-1931).                                                                                                                                                     

  • The next pastor was the Rev. P. C. Davis and he served for three years. (1931-1934).      


  • The next pastor was the Rev.  Robert  H.  Kidd,  Sr.  A man of untiring efforts, a Gospel Preacher, a man who touched the heart in Gospel song, a builder of God, a Christian work organizer, and a teacher for instilling the Christian principles in the young people of the church for today and in the future.                                                               

  • Under Rev.  Kidd’s leadership, the church choir was organized in 1943, a choir loft was built in 1944, and sister Carrie M. Harrison served as the first pianist. During Rev.  Kidd’s pastoral ship,  the third church building was built.  The first service was held December 3, 1972 with a special dedication service in an evening service. Under the leadership of Rev. Kidd, the fellowship hall was completed and name in his honor. “The R. H.  Kidd Fellowship Hall.” Under the leadership of Rev. Kidd the church became active in the General Baptist State Convention, Neuse River Missionary Baptist Association where he served as Vice Moderator.  The Lord truly blessed us. With God’s Grace and Mercy, we had a Senior,  Adult,  Mission, and Youth Choirs,  Pastor Aide,  Male Chorus, Senior Missionary Circle,  Senior and Junior Usher Boards, YMCA and Youth Department.  The Deacon Board and Trustee Board, Sunday School and Bible study have grown with new ideas and understanding God’s word.  Rev. R. H. Kidd served for sixty one years and God called him from labor to the great reward. (1934-1995).  


  • Rev.  Joseph L.  Battle served as assistant pastor to Rev.  R . H.  Kidd and the Quankey Baptist Church for a year and half. Rev. J.L. Battle was elected as our next and present pastor in March 1996.  One we have grown to Love and Respect,  who has been an asset to us through the word of God.  We know that he is anointed and is sent by Jesus Christ our Savior.  Under his leadership,  a Layman’s League  has been organized and Quankey’s first Newsletter was published,  (June 1996).  The Young Adult Missionary circle was re-organized in 1999 and new member class started.  The Church choir was formed from the Senior,  Mission,  Adult choirs and Male Chorus which was combined.  Our present Musician is Bro.  Pleasant Singleton.  Brother James Maxwell, Jr.  as Drummer.  We now have the church choir, Youth choir and Men Chorus. Other Musicians, who has served us: Augustus Cofield, Barbara Harrison,  Edward Battle,  Stephon Chaney also as Drummer and Duriel Smith,  the late Prince Ivey,   the late Mary A.  Young, the late Rev.  William Powers,  the late Odell Daye.                                                                                 

  • The parking lot was completed in the fall of 2001.  The church adopted a Family in the Princeville area and reconstructed their home after the flood.                                                                                                                                        

  • Community Involvement Ministry Committee was formed February 2002.  A Health awareness Day was held with participation from area Physicians and other Health Consultants.  Quankey’s Team “A Quest For A Cure” participated in Relay For Life,  with our members participation and the team continues each year.      


  • Quankey Senior Citizens Ministry was organized January 2003.                                                                                              

  • Quankey Nursing Ministry was reorganized January 2003.                                                                                                       

  • Quankey began 11:00 am worship service for each Sunday, 1st Sunday in November 2003.  Our first Church Anniversary Fellowship Dinner was held the third Sunday in November at Ralph’s BBQ, Weldon, NC .   The Fellowship Dinner continues each year.                                                                                                                                         

  • Quankey ordained seven men as deacons Jan 13, 2008:  Boston Benbow,  Robert Clark,  Cecil Hines,  Jr.,  Gilbert Long,  Oscar Scott,  David Smith and Curtis Young.  


  • We have grown in the Spiritual Realm, souls are being saved and we give all honor and praise to our most High God.  As of 1st Sunday November 2008 thru October 2009, we have receive into our membership the following: Twelve (12) persons to be baptized;  three (3) members to receive restoration and fourteen (14) persons under the experience of grace and five(5) deceased members.                                                                                                                     

  • We know that we have loved ones who devoted their lives to the cause of Christ and have gone on to their great reward.                                                                                                                                                                                                  

We thank God for all our leaders, who have put their lives and souls in this great building of God's kingdom.  May every member give all honor to God for His manifold blessings.  Let us continue to Love one another and pray God to guide us and sustain us with His power and strength.





“Except the LORD build the house, they labour in vain that build it: except the LORD keep the city, the watchman waketh but in vain.” -Psalms 127:1

bottom of page